Essential Oils for Beginners
You’ve been hearing a lot about Essential Oils lately. You see Aromatherapy recipes online and your friends are using oils daily… so you have decided it’s time to take the plunge. But where do you start? What Essential Oils should you invest in? And how do they even work? Don’t worry! REVIVE is here to help.
What are Essential Oils?
The most basic explanation is that Essential Oils are therapeutic extracts from plants. They are produced by steaming or pressing plant matter like flowers, stems, roots, resins or wood. The result is a very potent liquid that contains the chemical compounds representative of the plant they have come from. These volatile essences smell strongly and have components that can affect us physically, mentally, and emotionally. Historically, Essential Oils have been used for centuries and are even mentioned in the Bible.
What is Aromatherapy?
The process of using Essential Oils for their therapeutic benefits is called Aromatherapy. The Essential Oils encourage holistic healing of the mind, body, and spirit. Aromatherapy has a rich history based in many cultures including the Ancient Greeks, Indian Ayurvedic medicine, and even the Egyptians. But its most recent definition comes from an accidental discovery in 1937. French perfumer, René-Maurice Gattefossé used Lavender Oil on a burn he had on his hand and realized that it did not scar. He had already been using Essential Oils in his perfumes, but when he discovered that he did not contract gas gangrene, he devoted the rest of his life to understanding and educating about the healing properties of Essential Oils. Today, Aromatherapy is used daily by most anyone. It is now considered a true union of both art and science.
How do you use Essential Oils?
Don’t let the common phrase, “there’s an oil for that” overwhelm you. Yes, Essential Oils can be used in countless ways, but it doesn’t have to be complicated. The quickest and most popular way to use EO’s is still the easiest… inhalation.
Inhalation: the process of inhaling Essential Oils into the nose where they travel along the cilia and enter the olfactory. This is when the message gets sent to the limbic system and your brain determines how to react to a certain situation.
Ways to use inhalation: smell the oils right from the bottle, use a diffuser, put the oils on a piece of diffuser jewelry, or use a nasal inhaler.
Topical: when using Essential Oils topically (on the skin), you get the benefits through inhalation and absorption. The molecular weight of an Essential Oil is small enough that it penetrates the dermis and enters our bodies. The benefit of this is that we can get longer term use of the oils and we can use them for physical issues. One important thing to remember here is that it is best to use a “carrier” when using your oils topically. Essential Oils are incredibly potent and many of them can irritate the skin when used alone.
Ways to use topically: add Essential Oils to an unscented lotion, nut or seed oil and apply to skin. You can do this to aid a physical need or in addition to a massage, compress, or bath.
What Essential Oils Should I Buy?
If you are beginning your journey with Essential Oils and you need to purchase a few to get started, you want to get the most bang for your buck. There are many oils that are definitely incredibly versatile and can be used for a lot of different applications. Starting with just a few key oils can make it less intimidating and help you get the hang of it. Then pretty soon, you will find how much you enjoy it and you will want to add to your collection.
Lavender Essential Oil: If there is only one Essential Oil you ever buy, this is it! Considered the “Jack of all trades,” this oil covers all the bases.
- It’s safe and gentle- great for kids, adults, elderly, and dogs.
- It’s calming to body, mind, and skin- can be used to reduce stress and anxiety, may ease aches and pains, soothes skin issues.
- It is useful for cleaning- Lavender is a deodorant, antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic. It can really help kill germs.
- Promotes relaxation and sleep- a safe way to help you achieve some much needed R&R
- Beneficial to the immune system- reduces cortisol levels which, in turn, boosts immunity.
- Most everyone loves the smell- creates a wonderful ambiance in any space.
Lemon Essential Oil: This multi-purpose oil smells amazing and is wonderful for so many things.
- Improves your mood- very uplifting and may help ease depression.
- Good for digestion- calms nausea and relieves indigestion.
- Natural disinfectant- great for killing germs, purify the air or use in cleaning products.
- Antioxidant effects- slows oxidation and may protect your cells against free radicals.
- Purify the body and possibly aid in weight loss- d-limonene in Lemon oil can support metabolism and cleanse the body.
Tea Tree Essential Oil: This medicinal oil is well-known around the world for its ability to help in many situations.
- Great for skin care- a great antifungal and antiseptic, this oil reduces acne, kills skin fungus, and prevents infections.
- Fights colds and cough- the antimicrobial properties make this oil powerful in preventing respiratory infections and easing congestion.
- Odor eliminator- a superb antibacterial, Tea Tree can stop smells in their tracks and keep them from coming back.
Peppermint Essential Oil: A true favorite amongst many simply for its wonderful fresh scent, this oil is outstanding for many reasons.
- Relieves pain- this amazing oil fights inflammation which can ease pain, especially headaches.
- Respiratory benefits- Peppermint aids in clearing airways, reducing congestion, and easing the common cold.
- Provides energy and alertness- when inhaled, this stimulating oil can invigorate, clear the head, and even help you exercise longer.
- Ease skin issues- antiseptic properties help reduce dandruff, stop itchiness, and soothe skin.
REVIVE’s Basics Kit: Once again, REVIVE has made it easy for you! This basics kit is a great place to start when just learning how to use Essential Oils.
It contains 3 of the above mentioned Essential Oil Singles: Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint. But in addition, we also include 3 useful synergy blends that our customers love: Sleep, Immunity Boost, and Breathe Air. These blends provide a simple way to achieve your goals naturally without having to mix your own.
So Now What?
Well, that is up to you. First, decide what you want to do or what issues you would like to tackle naturally. One of the easiest things to do is start with using a diffuser. The design of this wonderful machine makes it simple to improve your mood or purify the air in just minutes. The REVIVE Oasis Diffuser is unique in the fact that it not only provides a mist of oils into the atmosphere, but it also produces negative ions that help lift your mood and boost your immune system.
Looking for more ideas? REVIVE has hundreds of ideas and recipes on our blog! In addition, you can always ask an aromatherapy expert on our site. Simply click on the blue tab in the lower right corner of your screen, and we are here for you. Beginner or not, Essential Oils are functional and handy tools that should be used by everyone.